Does Yoga Help With Hirsutism?
Development of male pattern hair growth and increased amount of body hair in unwanted places in a female is defined as hirsutism. In a male, more the hair growth, it is considered more masculine. Therefore the problem of hirsutism doesn’t arise in males. However in females less body hair is considered more feminine although what is determined too much or too little body hair depends on the culture and ethnicity.
Hirsutism can be a medical condition where there are excess androgens in the body or a familial trait or due to prolonged intake of certain medicines which act like testosterone. Androgens out of which the hormone testosterone, is the reason causing hirsutism in females
What is Yoga?
Yoga is one of the most popular workout regimes among both males and females. It is a philosophy and a way of life for those who are involved in yoga.
Apart from gaining strength and flexibility, doing yoga regularly according to a schedule will help you even lose weight. Especially in Yoga – Pilates where the work out is focused on your abdominal muscles, your body will be more toned and with time you will realize you are slowly getting that dream body, you always wanted.
Yoga is a great way to relax your body and mind. As you focus and concentrate on your breathing, your mind is relaxed and you will feel a connection with your body and mind.
Yoga was originated in India about 26,000 years ago and now it is spread throughout the world where many have embraced it with passion. You can practice yoga anytime and anywhere like at your own home, in a gym or a yoga studio. The relaxation is more when combined with meditation and having relaxation music in the background.
There are several benefits of doing yoga continuously.
Physical benefits of yoga are improving balance, increasing strength and stamina, increasing flexibility and reducing joint pains as it works on proper alignment of body through various postures. Making yoga your life style helps to cure or control many ailments of your body like hormonal imbalances, chronic diseases, auto immune diseases and even cancers while improving your immunity to fight various infections and diseases. (Research is still going on to prove this point)
Benefits to the mind are awareness of your body, reduction of stress, improving self-esteem, building self-confidence, relaxing and calming your mind. You will notice that you are enjoying better sleep too. It will make you more disciplined with time both in mind and your body.
How does yoga help in females with hirsutism?
- Yoga reduces stress. When the stress is reduced, release of stress hormone “cortisol” will be less. Cortisol is an anabolic steroid which can act in a similar way to testosterone giving rise to hirsutism. So when cortisol hormone is reduced due to reduced stress, it will help reducing features of hirsutism.
- There are certain Asanas in yoga (postures) where your pelvic region is opened up which promotes relaxation. It will help in Poly cystic ovarian syndrome which is the commonest cause of hirsutism in females.
- As yoga helps to lose weight, along with your diet and life style changes, it helps in PCOS. As obesity is found to be an associated feature or a cause for a female to get PCOS. Having a healthy weight helps you to control effects of PCOS while reducing your features of hirsutism.
- One of the physical benefits of yoga is strengthening your body. This means your organ systems are strengthened too. By constant toning of the body, the organs which are affected by PCOS become stronger with time, fighting back the effects of PCOS.
- Stress is a known feature which aggravates PCOS and leading to hirsutism. When the stress is reduced by various relaxation and meditation techniques used in yoga, PCOS will be controlled and hirsutism will be redcued.
- Yoga has breathing exercises (pranayama) which helps to calm your mind and detoxifies your system. This helps to control the distress you feel due to your hirsutism. You will be more self-confident as you learn to control your mind and fight emotions. You will not get depressed just because you have hirsutism and as you will be occupied with yoga you have no time to welcome any negative emotions in to your mind. Developing positive emotions helps to fight back any illness from your mind and not only hirsutism.